Newport Beach, CA 92660949-706-3514
If you are showing signs of macular degeneration, you may want to set up an appointment with a reputable Newport Beach eye doctor. At Retina Associates of Orange County, we have treated many patients with macular degeneration and are more than happy to assist you.
What is Macular Degeneration?
As the leading cause of vision loss, macular degeneration occurs when the small central part of the retina deteriorates, as an eye doctor in Newport Beach CA can attest. Symptoms of this eye disease include blurred vision, seeing spots, inability to see in dim light, and distorted vision. Macular degeneration is more common in people over the age of 60, smokers, obese individuals, and those with high blood pressure.
How Do You Prevent Macular Degeneration?
The idea of your Newport Beach eye doctor diagnosing you with macular degeneration may sound scary, but there are things you can do to reduce your risk of developing this disease.
- Eat a Healthy Diet: What you put in your body is important for eye health. If you include foods like fatty fish, leafy green vegetables and whole grains in your diet, you can reduce your risk of developing macular degeneration.
- Quit Smoking: If you are a smoker, you should give some serious consideration to quitting the habit. Smoking tobacco can hinder oxygen flow to your retina, which can affect your vision, as a Newport Beach eye doctor can confirm.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: Being overweight increases your chances of developing macular degeneration, so try to stay at a healthy weight. Eat a wholesome diet and limit junk foods. Aim to exercise most days of the week.
- Wear Sunglasses: Sun exposure does not just hurt your skin; it can also damage your eyes. To reduce your risk of macular degeneration, always wear a pair of sunglasses with UV protection when you are outside. Consider keeping a pair of sunglasses in your car so that you never forget to put them on.
- Do Not Skip Eye Exams: Even if your vision seems perfectly normal, you should never skip your yearly eye exam. A Newport Beach eye doctor may be able to detect early signs of macular degeneration that you missed. The earlier this disease is detected, the easier it is to treat. If you have noticed any changes to your vision, be sure to bring that up to your eye doctor.
- Keep Your Blood Pressure Under Control: High blood pressure is one of the leading risk factors for macular degeneration, so it is important to keep yours under control. One way to do this is to reduce your sodium intake. Try to use table salt as seldom as possible and stay away from processed foods.
You only get one set of eyes, so make sure to take good care of them. Keeping up with your eye exams is one of the best ways to maintain good vision. If you are looking for a Newport Beach eye doctor, contact Retina Associates of Orange County at 949-793-7181.