Choosing the Right LASIK Eye Surgeon Orange County Trusts
When you are planning to have LASIK or PRK, it is important to choose the right eye surgeon for your procedure. In taking this time to consider your options, you not only retain a greater chance of attaining a very satisfying visual outcome, but can also feel comfortable before, during, and after the procedure.
Finding the Right LASIK or PRK Eye Surgeon in Orange County
In Orange County, there are many eye surgeons, but not all are created equal. Some factors to consider include:
Licensing – Before you choose a LASIK surgeon, it is important you know that he or she is licensed. State licensing boards and the National Practitioner Data Bank can verify this for you.
Board Certification – Just because an eye doctor has a license to practice does not mean they are board-certified. This means that an entity who is recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties has certified the doctor to practice their specialty; in this case LASIK surgery. Board certification is not just a piece of paper; rather, it requires doctors to continue their training and education according to their specialty.
Advertisements – It is common for LASIK eye surgeons to advertise their service. Some may even include a price that could be average or well below or above the standard. Although an ad can be a good starting point, it should not be the main criterion of your selection. Furthermore, a “good deal” is not always the best.
Seek Referrals – More than likely, you have a general eye doctor such as an optometrist or ophthalmologist. You may want to talk with him or her about your desire to have LASIK and that you are looking for the most qualified surgeon.
In addition to the above tips, you can even do a search on the internet for something like “LASIK Orange County”. Choose a few websites and read over the information they provide. Keep in mind that you can always make a few appointments with different LASIK surgeons to get a feel for the clinic, staff, and surgeon.
Questions to Ask a LASIK Eye Surgeon
Once you have found an eye surgeon, you will need to make an appointment for a LASIK consultation. During this time you will have the opportunity to ask the doctor relevant questions like:
- How many LASIK procedures have you done (or within a proximate amount)?
- What is your complication rate?
- Will I need to travel somewhere else for the procedure?
- If I experience a complication, what are your protocols or follow up procedures?
- Are there any extra fees for things like an enhancement (a follow-up LASIK procedure)?
- If there are fees for an enhancement, are there any price breaks?
- If there are not fees, what is the cutoff period for addressing potential problems?
- Are there any risks I personally should know about?
Things to Keep in Mind
- LASIK is not the only refractive procedure, nor is it the best one for every person. It can be useful to choose an eye specialist who is comfortable and experienced with several different eye procedures including LASIK, LASEK, PRK, and clear lens replacement.
- You may want to consider a LASIK surgeon who offers the procedure close to your home to avoid any long, unnecessary travel.
- It will be emotionally useful to choose a LASIK surgeon who you trust and feel comfortable with.
Are You Ready to Talk with a Professional LASIK Eye Surgeon?
If you would like to consult a LASIK eye surgeon Orange County patients recommend about the procedure or you are looking for more information on other refractive treatment options, please call Retina Associates of Orange County today.